About Christ Episcopal Church
The Great Choptank Parish was one of 30 parishes of the Church of England established in 1692 in the colony of Maryland on behalf of King William and Queen Mary. Christ Church was located in Cambridge as the principal church of that parish. From as early as 1693 there was an Anglican Church on the lands surrounding the present Christ Episcopal Church. The present building, the third on the lands designated at the founding of the City of Cambridge for a church, was constructed 1883.
From its beginnings Christ Church has been a significant part of the religious and political life of the Eastern Shore, the State of Maryland, and the United States of America. The monument pictured to the right is dedicated to the memory of John Henry, who served in the Continental Congress, the United States Senate, and as Governor of the State of Maryland.
The present church continues to be actively involved in its surrounding community through the daily life, work, and volunteer efforts of its members and in its outreach through a Food Pantry and other programs to support our neighbors. We seek to be faithful disciples through our parish life and worship and in our daily lives. We welcome all to join with us in a life of faith and discipleship.
Christ Church is a parish of the Diocese of Easton and so a parish of the Episcopal Church, USA. Our worship is traditional and based in the liturgies of the Book of Common Prayer. We are located in downtown Cambridge, Maryland at 215 High Street across from the Dorchester County Courthouse and across Church Street from the Cambridge Post Office. Our church office and our mailing address is 601 Church Street, Cambridge, MD 21613-1729