410-228-3161 Office Phone
From a history of Christ Church published in 1975:
“The old cemetery adjacent to Christ Church can be seen from both High and Church Streets through the iron gates of the beautiful brick wall. It has been a burial ground ever since the Great Choptank Parish was created over 320 years ago , probably before. It is part of the original Church Lands designated as such in 1684 when the town of Cambridge was first laid out.
"Four governors of Maryland are buried in the old churchyard and a monument has been erected to commemorate a fifth, who was also a member of this parish, and whose grave in the family graveyard at his home, “Weston,” on the Nanticoke River, has been washed away by erosion. Near the High Street entrance are two stones on which the earliest dates are graven:
Here lyeth the body of Magdalen Stevens
who departed this life November the 24th Anno. Dom. 1678
Here lyeth the body of William Stevens
Who departed this life Anno. Dom. 1684
“These two gravestones were moved here in 1940 from the Huffington Farm . . . on Horn’s Point Road or the Cambridge District. [Since this was written, these two stones have been moved into the south transept of the church nave.]
“During the period of about a hundred years for which there are no parochial records, the graveyard was undoubtedly used as such. There are many buried here, the record of whose interment has been lost, their graves unmarked. In the shadows of Christ Church lie men, women, children – supporters of the faith. Not one of them is forgotten before God.”
The old section is full, but through the generosity of the Orem Family, a new section of the cemetery, with a granite columbarium, has recently been opened.
For a listing of those buried in the cemetery for whom we have records, click here. For a longer history of the cemetery, written by Christ Church member Melanie Merryweather, click here.
Christ Church Graveyard Orem Addition
Grave Plots or Niches in Columbarium are available
Cost is $1,000